Saturday 12 March 2011

England, No job.......Back to Japan!

So now I'm in England I have no job and neither does my wife. I was hoping to get an interview with JET but I never did. (I assume it's because I have prior experience of Japan and I believe JET want to introduce Japan to people).

Fortunately in Taiwan I contacted a Tohoku (northern Japan) based school called James English School. They told me they liked me but they didn't have any vacancies. I kept in contact through my travels through emails, at least once a month.

While in England it was my wife's birthday so I took her to see Rome. We had 4 nights in the beautiful city and enjoyed it immensely. During the trip I was asked by James (James the company not the person) to do an interview. I asked them to hold it a few days until I got to England and they did. I had the interview over skype in the early hours of the morning and was offered the job in Ishinomaki just north of Sendai on the coast of Japan.

(Today I heard on the news that Ishinomaki was been destroyed by Tsunami which worries me)

The follow up interview I was offered Tendo in Yamagata instead because someone else really wanted Ishinomaki due to already living in the city. I decided on Tendo to the disappointment of my wife although after the news she seems more upbeat about Tendo now.

(more on that later)

I got the job and left England shortly after. When I got to Narita I took a shower and got the train to Sendai so I could sign my contract. Yuuri's sister studies at Yamagata Tohoku University so we crashed at her place until the next night when I could travel up to Tendo.


I quickly got set up and viewed a nice place and got settled soon as possible. James didn't take care of any of my paperwork but my wife could do most of it. It was a lot of work for her and I am thankful for her hard work, I don't know what I'd do without her.

James didn't give me any training but maybe that's ok I know what I am doing and a trainer viewed my classes. They seem more relaxed than AEON. The variety is good too, sometimes I work in Tendo, on Tuesdays I am in Yamagata and once I was in a hotel doing a seminar in Sendai all in my first month. I also do lessons in the community centre at the end of the road.

Tendo is a small town so rent is cheap. James don't help with rent but I found a place that was the same price as I was in in Aomori but huge in comparison. We don't get many students either and so most classes are at companies like 3M, Panasonic, Yamagata airport, etc.

It has proven to be an easy going and flexible job where I can be a good teacher.
I do like some formal things such as wearing a tie and cuff links and I have made name tags for my department. Maybe I've been at Aeon too long but I think it works. 

No comments:

FeedBurner FeedCount